The British Medical
Association fears that less and less students will choose a medical career,
because of eroded salaries, increased pension contributions and debts. After
paying the new £9,000 tuition fees,
students will have debts up to £70,000 after they
graduate, according to Tom Dolphin. Dolphin calls out to people, to strike back
and defend their pensions. “When you start working, a big chunk of your salary will be
used to repay these debts. With salaries frozen for many years, your starting
salary will have been eroded by inflation.” According to the BMA, the
NHS staff has to pay more for their pensions than other public sector workers,
and doctors at the start of their careers are hit the hardest, paying hundreds
of thousands pounds extra..
-
I think this is a serious issue that should be addressed, I think we have a comparable situation here in the Netherlands with the study fines. Even though it would be my big dream to become a doctor one day, I would seriously doubt choosing a medical career, knowing that I would have to pay back a debt of around 70,000 pounds. Doctors are (obviously) very important, and instead of demoralizing them, I think you should stimulate them.
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/19/young-people-medicine-student-debts
I think this is a serious issue that should be addressed, I think we have a comparable situation here in the Netherlands with the study fines. Even though it would be my big dream to become a doctor one day, I would seriously doubt choosing a medical career, knowing that I would have to pay back a debt of around 70,000 pounds. Doctors are (obviously) very important, and instead of demoralizing them, I think you should stimulate them.
Source:
No comments:
Post a Comment